While we’re fortunate to have highly experienced Members and Friends who share their talents in all aspects of theatrical productions, we are a volunteer-led Company and welcome anyone who would like to get involved and help with one of our shows.
Many roles require no previous experience, and benefit from ‘on-the-job’ training with one of our more senior members. Other roles on complex shows do require some experience first, and are best attempted once you’ve gotten a few shows under your belt as an ‘Assistant (Stage Manager, Lighting Operator, Sound Operator)’. This process can be helped along by attended our training workshops to build your skills in a fun, low-stress, and hands-on environment with experienced instructors.
In addition, we’re always looking for help with our day-to-day operations, including:
- Front of House Managers – To monitor the bar area before the show and during the interval, manage 2 stewards, open the House, be familiar with Health and Safety/Emergency procedures, liaise with the Stage Manager and Box Office;
- Front of House Stewards – To sell programmes in the bar area before the show, ensure the audience is safely seated, be aware of the audience during the show, be familiar with Health and Safety/Emergency procedures, clear rubbish from seating area after the show;
- Box Office – Sells tickets to walk-in attendees, and provides tickets to audience members who booked in advance to pick up tickets on arrival;
- Bar Staff – Prepares the bar for a show, sells drinks and snacks, takes interval drink orders, closes out the bar preparing it for the next shift, and supports the Bar Manager;
- Set-Building – Grab a hammer and join the crew in the theatre or our off-site workshop to construct our sets for upcoming shows, led by our Technical Manager;
None of these roles require previous experience, no subscription or costs, just a good sense of humour, a willingness to learn something and help out. They’re all trained and supervised by experienced personnel, and a great opportunity if you want to try it out, don’t have a lot of time to spare, or are happy doing anything useful if it means the chance to meet some new people and be a part of a great community. For more information or to find out the next dates to get involved, please contact the Tower’s Technical Manager, Jude Chalk.
There are also opportunities to get involved with the Tower in other ways. If you’re interested in: