While we’re fortunate to have highly experienced Members and Friends who share their talents in all aspects of theatrical productions, we are a volunteer-led Company and welcome anyone who would like to get involved and help with one of our shows.
Many roles require no previous experience, and benefit from ‘on-the-job’ training with one of our more senior members. Other roles on complex shows do require some experience first, and are best attempted once you’ve got a few shows under your belt as an ‘Assistant (Stage Manager, Lighting Operator, Sound Operator)’. This process can be helped along by attended our training workshops to build your skills in a fun, low-stress, and hands-on environment with experienced instructors.
In addition, we’re always looking for help with our day-to-day operations, including :
- Front of House Managers – They monitor the bar area before the show and during the interval, manage two stewards, open the House, are familiar with Health and Safety/Emergency procedures, and liaise with the Stage Manager and Box Office;
- Front of House Stewards – They sell programmes in the bar area before the show, ensure the audience is safely seated, are aware of the audience during the show, are familiar with Health and Safety/Emergency procedures, and clear rubbish from the seating area after the show;
- Box Office – They sell tickets to walk-in attendees, and provide tickets to audience members who booked in advance to pick up tickets on arrival;
- Bar Staff – They prepare the bar for a show, sell drinks and snacks, take interval drink orders, close the bar and prepare it for the next shift, and support the Bar Manager;
- Set-Builders – They work in the theatre or at our off-site workshop to construct our sets for forthcoming shows, led by the show Designer;
None of these roles require previous experience, no subscription or costs, just a good sense of humour, a willingness to learn something and help out. They’re all trained and supervised by experienced personnel, and a great opportunity if you want to try it out, don’t have a lot of time to spare, or are happy doing anything useful if it means the chance to meet some new people and be a part of a great community. For more information or to find out the next dates to get involved, please contact the Tower’s Technical Manager, Jude Chalk.
There are also opportunities to get involved with the Tower in other ways. If you’re interested in :